Saturday, August 31, 2013

A little towards the deep end...

I went to the funeral of my husband's grandmother today. I was not close to her and only met her a handful of times. My husband's family is .... complicated. It seemed appropriate to be there though to lend my support and well wishes especially since my husband could not. I was struck while I was there by how large my husband's family is. So many people who are connected so deeply. Something else struck me while I was sitting amongst so many people that I mostly only know through Facebook and a few brief meetings as they tried to sort through their grief and the things that make families what they are.

Part of the human condition is that at some point in our lives we all get hurt by someone we love. Whether it's an unkind word, or something truly heinous. We all get hurt. By the same token, each of us hurts someone. Most of us hurt many people. When we examine our hurts, small or large and weigh them against the amount of forgiveness each of us carries in our hearts, we can always deepen the well by remembering that although we have been hurt, we have in turn caused pain. None of us is perfect. We have to remember that, especially when we are surrounded by people we love. Our love can overcome the hurts that we deal each other. Our love can heal us.

My love is with you all.

In lighter news, I really freaking love zombie movies. They can make a hard day so much better.

2 comments: